Surface and Orbit Authority

Server MOTD changes

Hi folks!

When I set the server up, I put together a trivial MOTD with a link to the Charter site (https://lithobrake.club/), to make sure players would be greeted by something when they log in. As it’s worked out, until now all the regular players have also been paying attention to the forums and discord, so I haven’t put much thought into amending it.

Last night, we had a player log in who did not also join discord and who doesn’t appear to be active on the forums. I think they deserve to be informed as to what’s going on, even if they are content to participate as a player only. The MOTD feels like a natural place to do that.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the MOTD?

I noticed there were several in and out visitors over the last few days.

If I were popping on to a new server to check it out I would want to know a few things.

• How many active players are there?
  • What times do ppl play?
  • Is it PvP?
  • Is there a good community?
  • Is the server a hard-core RP server?

Server location might be useful too. Someone new was just on Discord asking about it.
Maybe also some blurb roughly along the lines of (Some of this ripped from what Woof said on Discord):

Players have generally congregated in a few groups: Planet, orbit, moon. You’re free to go off and do you’re own thing, or join one of the groups. Just a heads up that NPC pirates are around so everyone has some automatic turrets, which will shoot at you if you’re not allied with their faction.

A draft:

Welcome to play.lithobrake.club, the official server of the Surface and Orbit Authority!

Forums: talk.lithobrake.club | Discord: discord.gg/RnGf5rN | Rules: lithobrake.club

This server is located in New York. We have a regular community of around six engineers, and welcome guests and new players. This server is largely PVE-centered, but PVP is allowed, provided you respect other players’ time and creations.

Players have generally congregated in a few groups: Planet, orbit, moon. You’re free to go off and do you’re own thing, or join one of the groups. Just a heads up that NPC pirates are around so everyone has some automatic turrets, which will shoot at you if you’re not allied with their faction.

Fixed my own “you’re” vs “your” typo:

This is now in effect.